Faculty and staff
Virginia Commonwealth University
School of Engineering
601 West Main Street, Room 210
P.O. Box 843072
Richmond, Virginia 23284-3072
- B.S., Computer Science, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 1995
- M.S., Computer Science, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 1997
- Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Rhode Island, 2002
Advanced computer architecture
- Collaborative research: Cross-layer exploration of non-volatile solid-state memories to achieve effective I/O stack for high-performance computing systems, National Science Foundation, P.I., 2009-2012
- Automatic identification of I/O bottleneck and run-time optimization for cluster virtualization, National Science Foundation, P.I., 2009-2012
- A benchmarking framework for high-availability distributed storage systems, National Science Foundation, P.I., 2007-2011
- “STICS: SCSI-To-IP Cache Storage,” U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, U.S. Patent No. 7,275,134
- B. Eckart, X. He, Q. Wu, and C. Xie, “A Dynamic Performance-Based Flow Control Method for High-Speed Data Transfer,” IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 21, no. 1, January 2010. Preprint: doi:10.1109/TPDS.2009.37.
- X. He, L. Ou, C. Engelmann, X. Chen, and S. Scott, “Symmetric Active/Active Metadata Service for High Availability Parallel File Systems,” Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (JPDC), vol. 69, no. 12, December 2009. Preprint: doi:10.1016/j.jpdc.2009.08.004.
- X. Chen, X. He, H. Guo, and Y. Wang, “An Online Performance Anomaly Detector in Cluster File Systems,” the 3rd International Symposium on Parallel Architectures, Algorithms, and Programming (PAAP), December 18-20, 2010.
- N. Wang, J. Han, H. Fu, X. He, and J. Fang, “Reproducing Non-deterministic Bugs With Lightweight Recording in Production Environments,” the 29th IEEE International Performance Computing and Communications Conference (IPCCC), December 9-11, 2010.
- X. Chen, J. Warren, F. Han, and X. He, “Characterizing the Dependability of Distributed Storage Systems Using a Two-layer Hidden Markov Model-based Approach,” International Conference on Networking, Architecture, and Storage (NAS), July 15-17, 2010.
- C. Wu, X. He, Q. Cao, and C. Xie, “Hint-K: An Efficient Multi-level Cache Using K-step Hints,” Proceedings of the 39th International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP), San Diego. September 13-16, 2010.
- G. Wu, X. He, N. Xie, and T. Zhang, “DiffECC: Improving SSD Read Performance Using Differentiated Error Correction Coding Schemes,” The 18th Annual Meeting of the IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunications Systems (MASCOTS), August 17-19, 2010, Best paper award candidate.
- G. Wu, B. Eckart, and X. He, “BPAC: An Adaptive Write Buffer Management Scheme for Flash-based Solid State Drives,” The 26th IEEE Symposium on Massive Storage Systems and Technologies (MSST2010), May 6-7, 2010.
- B. Eckart, F. Aderholdt, J. Yoo, X. He, and S. Scott, “A Top-Down Approach to Dynamically Tune I/O for HPC Virtualization,” Proceedings of the 4th Workshop on System-level Virtualization for High Performance Computing (HPCVirt), in conjunction with the 5th ACM SIGOPS European Conference on Computer Systems (EuroSys), April 2010.
- S. Wan, Q. Cao, C. Xie, B. Eckart, and X. He, “Code-M: A Non-MDS Erasure Code Scheme to Support Fast Recovery from up to Two-Disk Failures in Storage Systems,” Proceedings of the 40th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN2010), June 28-July 1, 2010.
- L. Ou, X. He, and J. Han, “An Effective Design for Fast Memory Registration in RDMA,” Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Vol. 32, no. 3, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.jnca.2008.07.008.
- X. He, L. Ou, M. Kosa, S. Scott, and C. Engelmann, “A Unified Cache for High Performance Cluster Storage Systems,” International Journal of High Performance Computing and Networking, Vol. 5, No. 1/2, pp. 97-109, 2007.
- X. He, M. Zhang, and Q. Yang, “SPEK: A Storage Performance Evaluation Kernel Module in Consideration of Availability for Block Level Storage Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 138-149, April-June, 2005.
- C. Wu, X. He, S. Wan, Q. Cao, and C. Xie, “Hotspot Prediction and Cache in Distributed Stream-processing Storage Systems,” Proc. of the International Performance Computing and Communication Conference (IPCCC), December 14-16, 2009.
- X. Chen, J. Langston, X. He, and S. Scott, “Design and Evaluation of a User-Oriented Availability Benchmark for Distributed File Systems,” the 21st IASTED International Conf. on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems, Cambridge, MA, Nov. 2-4, 2009.
- X. Liu, J. Han, Y. Zhong, C. Han, and X. He, “Implementing WebGIS on Hadoop: A Case Study of Improving Small File I/O Performance on HDFS,” IEEE Cluster, New Orleans, LA, Aug. 31-Sept. 4, 2009.
- B. Eckart, X. He, H. Ong, and S. Scott, “An Extensible I/O Performance Analysis Framework for Distributed Environments,” Euro-Par, Delft, The Netherlands, August 25-28, 2009.
- S. Wan, Q. Cao, X. He, C.Xie, and C. Wu, “An Adaptive Cache Management Using Dual LRU Stacks to Improve Buffer Cache Performance,” Proc. of the 27th IEEE International Performance Computing and Communication Conference (IPCCC), Austin, Dec 7-9, 2008.
- X. He and S. Scott, “Failure Prediction Models for Proactive Fault Tolerance Within Storage Environment,” Proceedings of the 16th Annual Meeting of the IEEE International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS’2008), Baltimore, MD, September 8-10.
- X. He, “Tolerating Temporal Correlated Failures From Cyclic Dependency in High Performance Computing Systems” Proc. of the 14th IEEE International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS'2008), Australia, Dec. 8-10, 2008.
- X. He, “Symmetric Active/Active Replication for Dependent Services,” Proceedings of International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES) 2008, Barcelona, Spain, March 4-7, 2008.
- B. Eckart, X. He, and Q. Wu, “Performance Adaptive UDP for High-Speed Bulk Data Transfer Over Dedicated Links,” 22nd IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2008), April 14-18, 2008.